Yellow Euryops Daisy, Hot Pink Geranium, Blue Lobelia, Fern Leaf Lavender and Gazania
First, I would like to share with you some beautiful winter flower container arrangements which were designed and planted by my friend, Maggie Thomas.  She is a landscape designer and her specialty is designing container plantings.  As you can see, she is extremely talented.
Hot Pink Geranium, Bacoba ‘Cabana’, Blue Lobelia, Fern Leaf Lavender and Blue Viola

In the area we live, zone 8b, we are fortunate to be able to grow flowering plants in containers year-round.  In late spring, these plants will be pulled out and replaced with summer flowering plants that can handle our hot summers.

Yellow Euryops Daisy, Hot Pink Geranium, White Bocoba, Blue Lobelia, Fern Leaf Lavender and Fortnight Lily.
Blue Viola

Hot Pink Geranium
Fern-Leaf Lavender (Lavandula multifida)

Although these containers are planted with plants that do well in our desert climate in the winter, those of you who live in more temperate climates can try these out in the summer months.

Pink Geranium & Bacopa ‘Cabana’
Now, for the name change….
I have been thinking about changing the name of my blog for some time.  The current title, “Plant Tips and Guidelines for a Desert Garden” sounds a bit like a textbook and although I strive to include helpful information in each post, I also like to ramble on a bit about all sorts of things.
So, I am changing the name of my blog to…
“RAMBLINGS FROM A DESERT GARDEN”
I hope you like it as it more accurately describes what my blog is all about.
 (My feed and links should not be affected because my url address is www.azplantlady.com which is not being changed.)
*Meanwhile, I am waiting patiently for my roses to arrive in the mail this week so I can start planting.

1. Liza
    Liza says:

Well I don't think you've been rambling, but if you want to change the name, so be it!

Container gardens are great, aren't they? Thanks for sharing your photos!

2. Hocking Hills Gardener
    Hocking Hills Gardener says:

Oh, Noelle, they are just gorgeous. Wish that lavender grew in my zone. Gorgeous. Anyone who uses pelargoniums is my hero. Love them as you will learn. LOL! I love blues and yellows planted together but the splash of pink makes it pop.

3. Teresa O
    Teresa O says:

I like the name change! The container designs are exquisite. Since I'm now limited to containter gardening, I'm always excited to see fresh ideas and ways to make stunning containers.

4. Shady Gardener
    Shady Gardener says:

Noelle, Good idea on the name change. I just made the corrections on my blog. Those are beautiful potted flowers. But something is quite wrong. I can't quite put my finger on it… OH! You have no Snow!! 😉

5. Kate
    Kate says:

I like the new blog name even though I don't view your writings as 'rambling.' I very much enjoy them.

What is the growing zone for this your Fern-Leaf Lavender? Gorgeous!

6. Meredith
    Meredith says:

Wow, your friend really *is* talented. Those container plantings are just lovely!

I much prefer the new name to the old. It is more poetic and somehow seems to match the blog's tone better. Funny I read this because ever since discovering blotanical and beginning to read other gardening blogs, I've been toying with the idea of changing my blog's name, as well. Maybe this post was just the impetus I needed to start seriously considering names. 🙂

7. Skeeter
    Skeeter says:

The containers are so stunning. Pure talent in those selections and arranging! Cant wait to see the chickens. The coup looks really nice and sturdy. The Saint could probably get a job in AZ but I have held us back as I did not think we could deal with the heat. But on the bright side, I bet we would have a swimming pool! No leaves to mess with. Too far from family for now though…

8. Rose
    Rose says:

These containers are beautiful! Creating new container combinations every summer is something I really enjoy, and I'm always looking for new ideas. The fern-leaf lavender is a plant I'm not familiar with, but it certainly adds some impact in these containers.

I like the new name!

9. jeansgarden
    jeansgarden says:

Noelle, I like the new name, and I've just updated it in my blogroll. The containers are gorgeous. I've been realizing that I need to do more with containers in my garden; so once again, I learn important lessons from your blog. Thanks! -Jean

10. Corner Gardener Sue
    Corner Gardener Sue says:

I like that change. Maybe I should use it, too, and call my blog "Ramblings from a Corner Garden." lol I wasn't able to use my first choices of what I wanted to call the blog, then after blogging awhile, realized the name is confusing, because some people do searches for corner gardens, and don't find what they are looking for when they get to my blog. I'll have to think on that, to see if I can modify it somehow.