One of my absolute favorite plants is my Lantana ‘Patriot Desert Sunset’.  And so this is the plant I chose for my first contribution to my friend Noel’s, monthly meme, “The Hot, the Loud and the Proud”.
The theme is to showcase a tropical or exotic plant with bright colors and/or combinations.  The plant does not have to be in your garden, but these Lantana have a high profile place in my front garden.
 This photo is one of the first Patriot Desert Sunset Lantana I grew on  the golf course.

My first experience with this low-growing shrub was when I used it in containers around the golf courses I worked on.  I used it as a summer annual and it thrived in the hot sun.

Once summer was over and I was getting ready to take the Lantana out and replace them with winter annual flowers, I just couldn’t throw them away.  So, I planted them in feature areas around the golf courses, below.

They were a huge hit and for nine months out of the year, a reliable source of bright color.  Butterflies were also attracted to the Lantana in large numbers.

I also brought some of the extra Lantana home and planted them in my front garden.  Some I located in full sun and a few I put under the shade of my Sissoo tree.  Now, Lantana do best in full sun, but will suffer from frost damage in our area during the winter.  My Lantana under my tree, do not flower as prolifically as the ones in full sun, but they do flower year round since they are protected from the frost from the tree canopy.

This is my Lantana growing underneath my tree.  The photo was taken in January.
This is an extremely easy plant to grow.  I did not amend the soil and they received no fertilizer.  In fact many people would be surprised to find out that if you fertilize Lantana, you will actually decrease flower production, but you have lots of beautiful green leaves.

Anyone can grow this Lantana, even if you live in a more temperate climate.  You can always grow it as a summer annual.  They do great in pots or in the ground and grow very quickly.
So, if you are looking for a bright spot of color in your garden, try out this Lantana.  If your nursery does not carry them, there are many mail-order nurseries that carry this beautiful plant.
Please visit Noel’s wonderful blog, A Plant Fanatic In Hawaii, which features so many beautiful plants and to see a list of other participants in “The Hot, the Loud and the Proud”.

1. Hocking Hills Gardener
    Hocking Hills Gardener says:

Love Lantana. I have to take mine to the basement in the winter but it keeps well. Mine was just taken out and it is leafing out now. I have tried all spring to grow some from seeds which has been a disaster. Cannot get them to germinate and have tried all the tricks.
    I can imagine how big the plants get in your climate though. Love their bright colors. I have on order a purple one that I am anxious to get.

2. Floridagirl
    Floridagirl says:

That is a bright and colorful lantana! I grow 'Confetti' in my garden. For many years, I thought of lantana only as a weed, but now I'm growing this seedless variety in my garden. What a great butterfly plant!

3. Rainforest Gardener
    Rainforest Gardener says:

I have a wedier version in my front yard that I haven't been able to kill because the butterflies love it too much! I could replace it with a more compact form but this ones so vigorous…
    Here in Jax the purple variety does really well in winter. They were blooming right after our cold spell.

4. Rosie@leavesnbloom
    Rosie@leavesnbloom says:

This is one plant I am going to buy this summer as I have read so many encouraging things about it – but it will have to be a summer annual for me. When I was little I wanted to wear shorts and a t shirt and the colours were just like the lantana and my mum would not let me wear them together as she said the colours clashed – I just love the colour combination. When I see that colour of lantana it reminds me of that morning – and my mum got her way in the end!

5. Bangchik
    Bangchik says:

Beautiful lantana, covering quite a space. Our lantana plants are growing in three pots, restricted and dwarfed. But they do give out cute flowers… ~bangchik

6. Patchwork
    Patchwork says:

Again…I learned something here.
    I didn't know you weren't supposed to feed the lantana. That does explain some things.

We have some native Lantana here. They handle the cold well…die back to the roots and come back in spring. Some of the newer, hybrids don't do as well.

I like this sunset colored one.

Have a great weekend.
    ~~Linda…

7. noel
    noel says:

aloha noelle,

i love this lantana also, they are fast growers, in fact too fast, if you can believe that, this one in particular is quite aggressive in hawaii, but i'm sure in many other environments (not tropical) will be a really nice addition to their gardens. they have the some of the most amazing colors and are blooming year round in some areas.

8. Ami
    Ami says:

Your lantana is indeed very hot, loud and proud! I did not know we should not feed lantana either, in my mind, any plants love some extra food 🙂 The ones in my garden also are starting blooming more. Love the color!

9. Meredith
    Meredith says:

Wow. Your lantana growing in shade looks more lovely than mine growing in full sun. I have to thank you for sharing your wonderful knowledge yet again, Noelle, because I'd never heard that about not feeding lantana and I love them, but mine are mostly foliage every summer — and so are my mom's and sister's. I'll be passing along that information ASAP. 😀

10. Amy
    Amy says:

I'm a fan! That is a pretty color. My annuals did survive our cold winter freezes…I was surprised. I am still waiting to see my trailing white lantana. I hope it shows itself pretty soon.

11. Martha Z
    Martha Z says:

I did plant a Lantana, so far it hasn't done much as our spring has been cold and damp. I am expecting great things from it as the year progresses. No fertilizer? I'll have to keep Hubby and his Miracle Grow away from it.

12. gippslandgardener
    gippslandgardener says:

That lantana is just so magnificent covered in flowers! I have been looking out for a sterile variety here (they do too well in my part of Aus) but haven't had any luck so far. At least I can enjoy your lovely pictures!

13. Bangchik
    Bangchik says:

Lantana always is exciting, very bright, rich and colourful. We still have them in pots, ever faithful to exhibit to exhibit their stunning demeanor. ~bangchik