Some of you may remember reading about one of my rose bushes, Mr. Graham Thomas, who last week made a fool of himself.  You can read more about Mr. Thomas his foolish exploit here if you like.  Even though he had only been in the ground in my back garden for only 10 weeks, he decided he couldn’t wait and produced 10 beautiful rose blooms.

What is wrong with that you may ask?  Well, Mr. Thomas was so impatient to outdo his neighbors, Mr. William Shakespeare and Mr. Abraham Darby that he neglected to wait for his stems to grow strong enough to hold up the blooms.  As a result, the stems flopped to the ground under the weight of the roses.

Doesn’t he look foolish?

Well, I am proud to say that Mr. Thomas seems to have learned his lesson this week.  I went outside this morning and there he was, proudly holding up a single rose.

Now I realize he is still a bit small and the stem is a bit wobbly, but he holding up his rose just the same.

I have to say, that I often feel similar feelings when my kids learn from their mistakes.  It makes you feel like you really accomplished something.  Now, last week, I wasn’t sure that my scolding Mr. Thomas or trying to embarrass him by posting his photos would cause him to see how foolish he had been.  I really wasn’t sure if he was listening.  But, I guess he was 🙂

On another note, thank you very much for your well wishes.  I am  recovering.  The fever is gone and I actually went to the grocery store yesterday.  I must say that shopping for 4 kids and a husband fills up the shopping cart quite a lot and I was pooped out when I go home.  Thankfully, my husband took one look at my face and told me to go inside and rest.  He took the groceries in and put everything away :o)

My one expedition today is to go to a local garden restaurant.  Actually it is a farm grill that is set among a very pretty garden setting.  My mother (Pastor Farmer) called me yesterday to let me know that the flowers are in full bloom.  So, I am off to take pictures and then come home and take a nap.  **Isn’t it frustrating how long it takes to get your strength back once you are over the flu?

Well, I hope you are all staying well.  I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

1. Christine
    Christine says:

Hi Noelle. Mr. Thomas does look rather silly with all those blooms on whimpy stems. But then again, it does show that he's quite the optimist, doesn't it? Just wait until his arms get stronger then look out!
    I'm so sorry to hear you've been down with the flu. I see others have had it also. Hope you are fully recovered soon! Have a wonderful weekend.

2. Nancy in Sun Lakes AZ
    Nancy in Sun Lakes AZ says:

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better Noelle. I hope you will let us know how Mr. Thomas and the other boys are doing this summer when it is hot, hot, hot! Can you say what the name of the farm restaurant is please?

3. Rosie  leavesnbloom
    Rosie leavesnbloom says:

Oh Noelle I am so sorry to hear that you took that dreadful flu virus going about. I hope you are getting stronger and stronger as each day goes by. It really does take quite awhile to recover doesn't it.

Glad to see that the rose is starting to behave itself at last.

Looking forward to seeing the photos from the farm grill.

4. Curbstone Valley Farm
    Curbstone Valley Farm says:

Mr. Thomas was foolish indeed…rather like a brash young teenager trying to impress his friends…only to fall flat on his face. 😛

Glad to know you're starting to feel better. I expect you probably felt as wobbly as Mr. Thomas's branches did. I always hate that post-flu feeling.

5. Floridagirl
    Floridagirl says:

I think Mr. Thomas undoubtedly did outdo his neighbors! Those blooms are magnificent! Glad you are up and about again. Take it easy till you recover fully. That garden restaurant sounds like it just might help in the recovery process. It sounds like a wonderful place! (Hope you took pictures!)

6. pamsenglishgarden
    pamsenglishgarden says:

Noelle, I believe you really are on the road to recovery if you were able to shop … I am pooped after grocery shopping for just two of us (even when in good health). Enjoy your beautiful roses!

7. Balisha
    Balisha says:

Hi Noelle,
    It's so hard to recuperate from the flu. I'm sure you have found that you just have to push yourself to get things done at first. Take the weekend and relax…get well.
    Balisha ((Healing HUGS))

8. Catherine@AGardenerinProgress
    Catherine@AGardenerinProgress says:

I'm sorry that you had the flu, it seems to be going around again now. Your blooms yesterday were beautiful!
    Graham does seem to have learned his lesson. The first picture makes me think of a cartoon character trying to lift a heavy barbell and then goes flat under the weight. The second one looks like he's just trying the 3 pound hand weight, and realized you have to work your way up to the heavy barbell.

9. arizonaplantlady@gmail.com
    arizonaplantlady@gmail.com says:

Hello Everyone,

Guess what?! We were awaiting the first bloom on Mr. William Shakespeare to open. It was just a day from opening when we went outside and it was gone! I am sure one of my dogs bit it off because we found the remains on the grass.

Nancy,
    It is Joe's Farm and Grill and is located on Ray Rd. just West of Higley. I hope you visit – it is wonderful!

Have a great weekend!

10. Autumn Belle
    Autumn Belle says:

Noelle, I am glad to hear that you are much better now. Hey, Mr Graham has got too big-headed but I love that yellow rose, it is gorgeous. I a very jealous that you can grow roses in the desert! I can't grow such roses here 🙁

11. gippslandgardener
    gippslandgardener says:

Poor Mr Thomas feeling like he had something to proove when he was always going to be a beauty. Maybe he was experimenting with being a ground cover rose!
    Sorry to hear you lost William Shakespeare's first bud – and to the dog! I have a friend who looses a lot of rose buds to hungry possums!

12. Carol
    Carol says:

Hi Noelle, I wonder if perhaps the foolishness came from the grower you bought the rose from over ferting it. I know that is not a word but … It sure did grow up too fast. I hope you get stronger each day… it is a drag … literally to recover from the alien flu's about! I hope you will not get like me and just seem to never recover … go easy. Best to you! Carol