Last Mother’s Day, my kids gave me a hummingbird feeder.  I am almost embarrassed to admit that this was my first one.  Years ago, I gave a seminar on hummingbirds and I think if I had admitted to not having a feeder, most of the attendees would have walked out 😉

Well, I have enjoyed my new feeder so much and the little visitors that have come.  At first, I was afraid that the feeder was too close to my kitchen window, but that has not stopped my little friends from visiting.

Recently, we have had a pair of Anna’s hummingbirds as regular visitors.  The male always comes first, and then his mate comes about a minute later after he has left.

You can tell that I need to clean my windows 😉
He does not always stop to perch, so I was thrilled that he decided to while I was taking pictures.
I didn’t know that they could stick their beaks in so far.
Once I finished taking pictures of him, I ventured out into the front garden and heard him and his mate in my Cascalote tree.  I couldn’t see them, but they were definitely discussing something with each other 😉
My dream is to find a hummingbird nest in my garden someday.  I remember my grandparents had a nesting pair in their Palm Desert, CA garden when I was a child.  I couldn’t believe how small the nest was and the eggs were just tiny.
I did have the opportunity once to take a picture of a hummingbird nest at a client’s house.  It was located on a Weeping Fig tree that was growing in a container by his front door.  I could hardly whip my camera out fast enough to take the picture….I was so excited.
Maybe now that I have a hummingbird feeder, I will have some new tenants in my Cascalote tree 🙂

1. Floridagirl
    Floridagirl says:

My son found a hummingbird nest when trimming the big Sago a couple years back. So cute! By the way, I would not walk out if you said you didn't have a hummingbird feeder. They are so difficult to keep clean and safe in hot weather, that I've decided not to use them anymore. My hummingbird feeders are the giant firebushes, bottlebrushes, roses, and aloes. They keep the birds coming just fine.

2. Joanne@ Desertmountainbear
    Joanne@ Desertmountainbear says:

A few years ago a hummingbird nested in a hanging asparagus fern right outside my front door. I was lucky enough to see the babies daily. They were so tiny when they first hatched I could hardly believe they were real. Seeing hummingbirds often is just another great thing about living in AZ.

3. Rose
    Rose says:

As much as I've tried, I've never managed to get a decent photo of one of our hummingbirds–yours are fantastic, Noelle! Of course our hummingbirds have flown south long ago, but one of the delights of the summer for me is sitting on the front porch watching these charming creatures feed at the nearby feeder. I did see a hummingbird nest once–at the Desert Botanic Gardens' Butterfly House. So tiny and just amazing!

4. Kyna
    Kyna says:

Neat species of hummingbird, I've seen them in books. We only get ruby-throated here. Not that they're not cool, they're my little buddies 🙂

My feeder hangs directly in front of my kitchen window. I used to be afraid they wouldn't come, but they love it. I also have a Goldflame honeysuckle next to it, they dart back and forth between the flowers and my feeder. 🙂

5. Shady Gardener
    Shady Gardener says:

Hi Noelle, We also only see ruby-throated hummingbirds here. However, I was fortunate this summer to also have them right in front of my kitchen window. What a thrill!!

Certainly there are nests here. Sure wish I could find one!! Good luck on locating one in your yard. 🙂

6. Curbstone Valley Farm
    Curbstone Valley Farm says:

I hope the Anna's do move in. We have a lot of Anna's here, darting around the sages and the island snapdragons. I think they may nest in an Oak in the front of the house but we have so much foliage with all our trees I have little hope of ever finding a nest here. The first time I saw a nest full of hummer babies though in a friend's garden, it didn't seem possible for it to be so small! Good luck, and hopefully in spring you'll have your own nest!

7. Daughter of the King
    Daughter of the King says:

On Thanksgiving day my family and I were outside enjoying the patio when I noticed a hummingbird on the ground at my door. I scooped it up in my hands, and feeling it flutter inside,I ventured outside my cat's territory to set it down; followed by at least 3 family members who reported seeing it hit the glass. No sooner lowered it into the "safe" place — it was off — fast as a flash of light. How often does someone get to hold a hummer in their hands? I was blessed!

8. Andrea
    Andrea says:

Noelle, the feeder is so beautiful, the birds are now trusting it. Funny and lovely. We have also a pair of Asian magpie robin roosting for a few years now on our west eave. They just dont leave but we dont know where they build their nests.

9. Balisha
    Balisha says:

We had a little hummingbird nest in our new maple tree. It hung on all through last winter and then in the spring…it let go of the branch and blew away. The hummingbirds built another nest in the same spot this year.It has disappeared. I took a picture of the first one and posted it, but I can't find it. Enjoy "my" little friends this winter. Balisha

10. leavesnbloom
    leavesnbloom says:

I always admire those little hummers Noelle on everyone's blogs. They are little birds I used to read about as a child and have always wanted to see. Yours is the first blog that I have ever seen one of their nests and it's just as beautiful as the little birds themselves.

11. camissonia
    camissonia says:

Hummingbirds are such a joy to watch, especially with their territorial antics. We have Anna's and also Black-Chinneds around here and they are not shy about coming to any feeder, including a window feeder that's literally attached to one of our windows by a suction cup. I know you have some really beautiful hummingbird species in Arizona, so looking forward to seeing if other varieties come to imbibe at your feeders!

12. Rosey
    Rosey says:

We once found a broken hummingbird egg shell in the forest and couldn't believe how tiny it was!
    They must hide their nests well. You could probably have a nest in your garden and never know it!

Thanks for stopping by.