As I write this, I have been relegated to a small corner of my dining room.  The rest of my house is crowded with furniture that had to be moved so the workmen can tear out much of our carpet.

You see, last Tuesday evening, we left to go eat dinner at my mother’s house (Double S Farms).  When we returned, 3 1/2 hours later, I noticed water outside of our front door.  Well, that was nothing compared to what was waiting for me inside…

It turns out that my youngest daughter had gone to the bathroom before we left for dinner and I guess the toilet overflowed.

I shut off the water and then I toured our house to see how far it had flooded.  My daughter was quite distraught and kept saying “It’s my fault…the house is going to fill up with water and we’re going to die!”

So, I worked at calming her down while calling my husband who was in class.  I needed him home right away – I couldn’t deal with the flood while our daughter was freaking out.

It turns out that some of our interior walls are wet, a few of our bathroom and kitchen cabinets and all the carpet in the kid’s rooms is destroyed.  Some parts of the family room and dining room carpet was also affected, but we don’t know if the insurance will pay for that.  We also had some furniture damage as well.

At the same time, we have been working on tearing out part of our front yard landscape (mostly grass) and installing a new one ourselves.  We have to finish it before a film crew shows up in 2 weeks to tape some ‘how-to’ gardening videos for SheKnows.com

AND, I have my first featured article (for a national magazine) due in a few days and I must admit that I have been suffering from writer’s block.

But, in the midst of all this chaos, I am thankful for the following:

– Good homeowner’s insurance (we’ve never used it before).

My husband has enough vacation time to take the next week off to help deal with all that is going on.

–  The kids are on spring break, which makes things a little easier.

– My sister offered to have the kids sleep over at her house. (Our bedroom wasn’t affected).

And finally, I am thankful for take-out pizza while my kitchen has been dismantled 🙂

**I do hope you are all having a nice and relaxing week

1. Curbstone Valley Farm
    Curbstone Valley Farm says:

Oh Noelle, I'm sorry. Our house flooded after a river literally ran through it in the El Nino of 1998. It's no fun to deal with soaking wet sheet rock, and insulation. However, you're all safe, and the damage is all repairable. Ultimately, that's all that matters. Hope things dry out soon, and you can get everything back to normal.

2. Katrina Blanchalle
    Katrina Blanchalle says:

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about the flood! I've been there, from the initial amazement that it could happen, through the insurance activity, the removal and repairs, and finally back to "normal". Hope your recovery goes quickly and smoothly, and I admire your excellent attitude! Keep up the good work!

3. Balisha
    Balisha says:

I'm so sorry about this. Your little girl must feel so badly.Difficult things always happen at the worst possible time. Take care,,,Balisha

4. FlowerLady
    FlowerLady says:

Dear Noelle ~ I'm sorry to hear about this bit of mishap for your family. Your poor daughter feeling guilty on top of it all. Stuff happens. Hope your homeowners takes care of it all.

Be calm, all things will work out.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

5. Maureen
    Maureen says:

I am so sorry to hear about your flood and that your daughter is so upset about it when it wasnt her fault.Hope the insurance company covers all the cost and that you get back to normal very soon
    God bless
    Maureen

6. jpotuchek
    jpotuchek says:

OMG, Noelle, what a mess! Something similar happened to some friends of mine once, only it was the dishwasher, not the toilet, that didn't shut off properly; they came home from an evening out to a waterfall coming down the half flight of stairs from their kitchen to the entryway. I hope Gracie (did I get the right name for the youngest?) isn't suffering traumatic fear of using the toilet! I'm curious about whether the crisis cured your writer's block (so many other things to worry about!) — although, even if it did, it seems as though there ought to be an easier way. I hope things get back to normal for you soon. -Jean

7. Mac_fromAustralia
    Mac_fromAustralia says:

I just saw this! How awful! I hope everything is all fixed and back to normal as soon as possible!
    (We have had a leaking shower saga and a leaking bathroom exhaust fan saga, I just feel so sad whenever I hear about anyone having to deal with things like that.)

Comments are closed.