As I began my trek through the desert, I found beautiful specimens of cacti, plants and even some wildlife, but I also found a few skeletons as well…..

Mature Saguaro

This beautiful Saguaro was one of the first cacti that greeted me on my walk.

The first skeleton I came across was from a Saguaro cactus; part of it still standing upright.  You can see where top part of the skeleton has fallen to the ground.

Here it is close up.  The decay is till present as you can see inside.  The woody remains of the saguaro are called ‘ribs’ and are what supports the Saguaro cactus.

Above, is a photo of a Saguaro that had just fallen.  You can easily see the ribs.  Whenever a Saguaro cactus would fall in a landscape setting, we would move it to an out of the way area where it could decay.  Then we would take the ribs and put them back into the landscape as a display.  Saguaro ribs are considered a beautiful accent in the desert landscape and are prized by many.

Native Americans used Saguaro ‘ribs’ to build roofs, walls and even furniture.  Another use was that they would make long poles that they used to knock off the Saguaro fruit, which is edible.

Saguaro are not the only types of cacti that leave behind skeletons….

Teddy Bear Cholla (Opuntia bigelovii)

Teddy Bear Cholla (above), also has an interesting skeleton.

Above, is a photo of a segment of Teddy Bear Cholla that is in the process of decaying.  You can see the woody skeleton starting to show.

Cholla skeletons are sometimes used as walking sticks.  Artisans also use cholla skeletons to make southwestern forms of art.

It is illegal to remove Saguaro and Cholla skeletons from the desert, unless you have permission from the owner.  Specimens can sometimes be purchased at certain plant nurseries that specialize in cacti.

So do as I do…..enjoy them out in the desert and take lots of photos.

1. Vickie's Michigan Garden (my backyard)
    Vickie's Michigan Garden (my backyard) says:

It would be so neat to go for a walk in the desert. I guess the Saguaro cactus is the one I most identify with-the one I've seem most in pictures.
    But the Cholla cacti is the neatest looking one -like you said it would make a great walking stick. Great pictures and good information!
    vickie

2. tina
    tina says:

These guys were just featured on the Gardener Guy show this weekend! They were so awesome. I could not believe that some of them can weigh like 18 tons? That is pretty heavy. The skeletons are ever so cool. Who would've though cacti had such cool underpinnings?

3. Msrobin
    Msrobin says:

I'm learning so much about desert plant life from reading your blog! It was all so foreign to me while visiting Arizona, so maybe I'll be better informed next time we go.

4. James Missier
    James Missier says:

If I was living in the desert, I would secretly plant all the fallen cactus back before they turn into skeletons.
    Then I would be a like a "desert robinhood" guarding each cacti..
    (lol)

Nice shots Noelle, enjoyed those inticate artworks.

5. Janet
    Janet says:

How very cool, first, learning cactus is like another language and secondly, what a wonderful use of the ribs or remains. This is so very different from east coast gardening. Thanks for showing the newly fallen cactus for perspective.

6. Kiki
    Kiki says:

Wow, this was quite a fascinating post!! You are awesome..great photos and descriptions…very cool! I truly enjoy your posts… and look forward to them!

7. Bren
    Bren says:

You have a beautiful blog! It is always so nice to see a different garden zone. My heat tolerable plants are my favorite. In fact, tonight I hope to blog about my Lantana blooming in our greenhouse while it is 30* out again tonight.

Thank you for stopping by mine. If you like I can try to send you a couple of those osage oranges?

8. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

Hi,
    I live in Seattle, and years ago when I was in Phoenix I saw a cactus skeleton and fell in love with them. Of course, I was to find out they are somewhat protected.

Fast forward……at a garage sale one day and I discovered I knew the person. It was her father's estate and he had lived in Arizona before. Yes, up in the attic were some skeletons. I bought them and and have had them for years, sitting down in the basement hiding behind "stuff." Just uncovered them and they look to have different parts. I'm wondering how I can find out what they are exactly? The larger piece is about 6 feet tall, looks like "ribs" and is tied together around the top and bottom, but I can see "inside" what looks to bea separate piece resembling the cholla. There is also another piece about 5 feet tall.
    Thanks for any help!