Yesterday was a glorious winter day accompanied with warmer then usual temperatures; 68 degrees F.  I went over to Double S Farms to help my brother-in-law (Farmer Dad), prune the fruit trees – (the fruit trees had sadly been neglected and mistreated by the previous owners, so we had to quite a bit of corrective pruning).

I brought along, my now repaired camera, intending to take pictures of how to prune fruit trees for a later post.  Once I arrived, I was so happy to see early signs of spring all around me….

A single peach bud, just beginning to show a flash of pink.
Snap Peas beginning to grow in the vegetable garden.

The grapefruit tree is heavily laden with delicious fruit.
The “Formerly Overgrown, Neglected Rose – Glamis Castle” beginning to leaf out.

The apple trees were full of buds and I was able to find this glimpse the pink petals impatiently waiting to burst out.

Double S Farms resident Costa’s Hummingbird, was happily perched on top of the almond tree watching over our activities.

1. Amy
    Amy says:

I am so glad the buds are coming out! I really like the photo of the apple tree….pretty. I bet you are glad to get your camera back. ~Amy

2. Kyna
    Kyna says:

Beautiful photo of the grapefruit tree! I wish I could grow those here…
    I actually didn't ever eat a grapefruit until I was 22 years old. I heard they were gross, so I never tried one. Once I did, I was sad that I missed 22 years of grapefruitlessness 🙂

3. Carol
    Carol says:

I am so happy for you Noelle … to have spring blooms already… but it is hard to see from where I sit looking over a snowy cold landscape… though today and yesterday were well into the 30's or about that. Balmy for here this time of year. My heart is gladdened to see the little hummingbird… knowing it has such a lovely home there with your dad! ;>) Carol

4. Meredith
    Meredith says:

Oh, Noelle, you made me feel better somehow. I'm a bit under the weather and couldn't plant my peas today, but I got to see snap peas anyway. And that hummingbird is the sweetest thing. How glorious it must be to have a *resident* hummingbird, instead of awaiting their return via the great yearly migration!

Beautiful post. Thanks for the lift!

5. sweet bay
    sweet bay says:

I'm glad your camera is repaired. Certainly you got some beautiful pictures. I especially like the one with the snap peas, the light shining through the leaves is so beautiful.

6. Kathleen
    Kathleen says:

It's not going to take much Noelle and it will be full blown Spring there. The grapefruit look delicious and like everyone else, I'm glad your camera is fixed.

7. Janet
    Janet says:

I love seeing those plump buds with a little pink showing! What a great sign of spring.
    I can't imagine being without my camera. Next to the internet I feel naked without it.

8. Kate
    Kate says:

Buds and green shoots!! What a breath of fresh air from my winter world. I'd love to have a grapefruit tree. Have you ever had BAKED grapefruit? It's one of our favorite goodies for breakfast. 🙂

9. Catherine@AGardenerinProgress
    Catherine@AGardenerinProgress says:

Seeing that pea flower was so neat, it's amazing how far ahead you are down there. It definitely looks like Spring with all the fruit blossoms. I wish I could smell the almond tree when it blooms. My in laws live near many almond orchards and the blooms and scent is just awesome!

10. Andrea
    Andrea says:

Hi Noelle, i always appreciate your photos. Composition and details always very beautiful. How i wish i can get the same in the nearest future. You elevate gardening to a higher level with those photos! thanks.

11. Rosey Pollen
    Rosey Pollen says:

Hi Noelle,
    That buds for you. Sorry, pun very intended. I am getting impatient for spring! Since I started blogging, I have unfortunately found out that spring arrives VERY early for some parts of the country. I wish I could go back to that ignorance. My Dad, who is living in Az, (snowbird) was bragging that he just planted his peas a few weeks ago. ARGGG.
    Rosey

12. Patchwork
    Patchwork says:

I agree with Rosey. I am ready for spring. Since we had two years of drought, I won't complain about all the rain we've had lately. But, it does make it hard to get my new beds dug. And, the cold has really set us back. Come on, Spring!!
    Great picture of the hummingbird.